MN Property Tax Refund

MN Property Tax Refund

Where Is My Property Tax Refund Minnesota – MN Property Tax Refund Information

Are you due the MN Property Tax Refund from the Renter’s Property Tax or the Homestead Credit Refund? Track the refund or see if you are due a property tax refund below.

Minnesota Renter’s Property Tax Refund

File for your MN Renter’s Property Tax Refund using Minnesota State Form M1PR. They have a fill in and print version as well as a print only version on the Minnesota Department of Revenue website. Also many tax software companies such as 1040NOW, File Express, OLT, TaxAct, and TaxSlayer will allow you to file for your MN Property Tax Refund online.

Find out if you quality for the MN Renter’s Property Tax or the Homestead Credit Refund:

You may be eligible for a refund based on your household income and the property taxes paid on your primary residence in Minnesota.

Regular Minnesota Property Tax Refund Income Requirements


where is my MN property tax refund




Special Property Tax Refund Requirements for Homeowners

If you are a homeowner you may also be eligible for a special property tax refund. This refund has no income limit and the maximum refund is $1,000.

To qualify:

  •  You must have lived in your home on January 2, 2015 and January 2, 2016;
  • Your net property tax on your homestead must have increased by more than 12% from 2015 to 2016; and
  • The increase must have been at least $100.

Other Requirements

• If you were a part-year resident of Minnesota during 2015: If you are a renter and permanent resident of another state and lived in Minnesota more than 183 days, you may apply for this refund. • If you are a homeowner or mobile home owner:

— Your property must be classified as your homestead, or you must have applied for homestead classification and had it approved.

— You must have a valid Social Security number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) to file your tax return. If you do not have either, you do not qualify for the homestead credit refund as a homeowner.

— You must have paid or made arrangements to pay any delinquent property taxes on your home.

• If you are a renter, you must have lived in a building on which the owner:

— was assessed property taxes;

— paid a portion of the rent receipts in place of property tax; or

— made payments to a local government in lieu of property taxes. If you are not sure if property taxes were assessed on the building, check with your building owner.



Were you looking for information regarding your Minnesota State Tax Refund? Find it here.